Thursday, September 24, 2009

Consumer electronic cos getting disengaged

Sony, the electronics giant has over the years built an indelible brand equity amongst consumers with its compelling products-price-performance value proposition. Many of its products have aspirational value that the burgeoning knowledge workers in India would vouch. ‘You got a Sony Bravia, wow!,’ ‘a Sony VAIO – Oh My God!!!’ are common expressions amongst youth these days. The question is whether the company is living to its value proposition? Well, recent events clearly indicate a perception – reality dissonance.
One of my colleagues had a harrowing time chasing the service engineers to replace a part on his Bravia so that he could enjoy the ongoing Champions Trophy. He’s yet to get a response after three weeks. Yet another colleague was figuring out contact details of LG for mending a two year old washing machine. These can be dismissed as one off experiences. However, the intense competition in the consumer electronics market seem to be forcing companies to get disengaged from its ‘fans.’ Can we imagine Sachin Tendulkar snapping at a young cricket fan in public? Do big brands lose customer focus? Can they afford to? A restaurant where am a regular stopped offering customers tea as it curtailed the possibility of selling their money spinners – kebabs, shawarmas and fruit juices. As I sat for my regular parota, chilly chicken and tea, the server informed me about his boss’s decision but offered my regular tea nevertheless. That for me was a ‘wow’ moment. I still go there and binge on parotas and chicken sans the tea.
There’s a lesson for big brands from this. As the business get commoditized, the need for customer focus and service should only increase. After all, customers are increasingly seeking ‘wow’ moments.

1 comment:

MR@Rashmi said...

Here is one.Chennai is a thirsty metro and thirst is Euraka Forbes' bussiness selling leading brands of water purifiers. Last October I bought one of them by name REVIVA for Rs.10000 some thing from their direct marketing at Chennai. The product Came, got installed and is working by God's grace.But all i got by way of documents is only a small bit of receipt for the money paid.(Final Receipt103/No:031333). No invoice no warranty, no user mannual.Those they said would be sent to me from Mumbai. But nothing arrived. I am left with aproduct of which I know little and no knowledge about my rights. Why should the Company be shy of sending the documents?==Shashikala Rajagopal.

Blog Archive